Basic Contouring and Highlighting 101 Video Tutorial with Vanity Planet
*This post is sponsored by Vanity Planet. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting those brands that support Afternoon Espresso!
Happy Friday, loves! Today, I have a real treat for you! I’ve been saying for MONTHS now how I want to start doing more video and Youtube tutorials! Well, life happens and I never got around to it at least until now! I’m going to try really hard to be a little more consistent with some videos. Honestly, I was a little scared. I get so nervous in front of the camera! Bear with me though, the more I practice that better I’ll get! I hope you join me on this fun journey and subscribe to my Youtube channel. Also, be sure to let me know what you guys want to see! I LOVE hearing your input so never be afraid to reach out with a question or suggestion!
For my first ever Youtube video tutorial, I partnered with Vanity Planet to do a basic contouring and highlighting 101 video. There are many, many ways to do contouring and highlighting, but I wanted to just give you a good starter point so you can start practicing contouring and highlighting yourself! P.S. Vanity Planet is giving YOU guys a major discount on these products! See below for the deets.
Check out the step by step video!
Contouring and Highlighting 101
In my video I used these tools and make up c/o of Vanity Planet:
Vanity Planet Brush Set – 70% off
code: Code: BBPalette70
Liquid Foundation Brush
Angled Contour Brush
Essential Contour Kit – 50% off!
I started my face with a moisturizer, primer, and then my normal daily foundation. I used a liquid concealer that is about two shades lighter than my foundation so I can get a good highlight. The purpose of highlighting and contouring is really to balance your face out. You want to brighten the darker areas and bring forward the features you want to stand out. Contouring does the opposite and emphasizes the natural shadows as well as creates shadows for a more sculpted look.
- 1.Using the Vanity Planet concealer brush, dab your concealer and place a line down the center of your nose.
2. With the same concealer brush, draw three lines of concealer onto your forehead. You want them to fan out above your eyebrows and straight up your forehead.
3. Next, you want to fan out the concealer below your under eye. Be sure to get right under your eye as well as the very corners of your eyes to brighten those areas up.
4. Fan out three smaller lines of concealer on the center of your chin. 5. Using the stippling brush, go in and pat the areas you just highlighted until blended. You want to dab and pat so you don’t just move all that concealer you just put on your face.
6. Next, you want to begin to contour to balance out all that you just highlighted. Using the angled contour brush and the Essentials Contour kit, start at the hairline at the top of your check bone and work your way down your cheek with the contour. You want to fan the brush away from your face as you brush down your face so the line becomes lighter at the end of your face.
7. Contour your hairline. Blend in some contour all around the hair line. Again we are creating balance. 8. For a more structured and emphasized jaw line, add a line of contour on each side of your chin.
9. Once this is all finished, I took the lightest shade in the Essential Contour pallet and tapped it on top of the areas I highlighted to use as a setting powder. I used the liquid foundation brush to help me do this!
Vanity Planet Brush Set c/o 70% off CODE: BBPalette70// Makeup Essentials Contour Kit c/o Code: BBMakeup50
What are your tips and tricks for contouring and highlighting 101? Comment below!
*This post is sponsored by Vanity Planet. All opinions and steps are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting those brands that support Afternoon Espresso!